Tuesday 14 September 2010

Sukerukun Transparent Japanese Resin Clay review

A few weeks ago I have bought Japanese resin clay called "Sukeruku". The reason behind my purchase was a promised ~ 85% transparency effect after drying. I was rubbing my hands in anticipation that at last i will be able to make a "glass" miniature jars and other useful minis. Here is my trial of the clay:



When I mixed some golden powder into raw clay i got strange yellow color somewhat transparent, but still not what I was looking for. You can add oil pain to it, but instead of transparent you will get opaque color "on transparent side":


The texture is pleasant. It is air dry and very easy to work with, not sticky, smooth and silky. But you need to be fast as it drying quickly. It is very oily, even after drying have some oily patches on it. Washing the ready product with soapy water has partly cured the problem. Also this clay is flexible after drying and not brittle at all. Have some funny smell to it, but not repulsive.

There is a good side i love about this clay - it shrinks! About 30% from original size, which is very handy for my miniatures.

I have achieved promised level of transparency by rolling it very thinly:


So....i think clay is perfect for miniature ice cubes, mini jars, glasses and cups once you will get used to this interesting product.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about this clay. I have never heard about it before and may give it a try.
    Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd call it seaglass clay :) It has the transparency of seaglass. I suppose though if you wanted something even more transparent it would be a lot thinner. Have you tried hydrogel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Kristi,

    I think you are right. I was not able to find a right description to this kind of clay. Also rolling it very thin will make it transparent, but this clay has a problem - it drying fast, so it is a difficult task to make something quickly after rolling. That is why I like my old fashioned polymer clay, even it is not transparent :D
    I will google hydrogel, have not heard about it. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, would you happen to know why it isn't sold anywhere in America? Maybe the FDA didn't approve of it? I'm trying to figure it out because it doesn't make sense that we have to go so far for this product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily,

    I highly doubt that FDA is anything to do with this, resin clays for some reason are very popular in Asian countries, but not here. Shame really.
    I do not know about America, I am in the UK and ordered this clay from Singapore. Try ETSY.COM, may be somebody is selling this clay in states.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, this product is now available online from the Clay Alley, http://www.clayalley.com/airdry.htm.

    God bless,

    Magee :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear. Im trying to reach you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested in the recipe for transparent clay

    ReplyDelete